The Importance of Building Relationships with Assisted Living Staff
The assisted living staff members at your loved one’s senior living community invest the most time caring of your loved one. That’s why it’s imperative to establish strong relationships and communication with them. Building strong relationships with assisted living staff is incredibly beneficial to your loved one’s overall wellness and helps the staff members provide the type of care that is most effective for your loved one’s needs.
How to Build Relationships
- Get Involved in the Community.* Your loved one’s assisted living community might welcome family involvement. You can look into how you can become involved with the different activities and events happening there. Even if it’s just spending time with the residents, it will be much appreciated and help build your relationship with the community.
- Thank the Staff Members. All of the staff members at assisted living communities work hard to make sure all of the residents there are receiving the best care possible. These roles can sometimes be emotionally and physically taxing. Make sure to take time and express your gratitude for everything they do for your loved one. This will make a huge difference in their day and reassure them that everything they do is worthwhile.
- Introduce Your Loved One to the Staff. The assisted living staff will already know key facts about your loved one in order to provide them with proper care. It’s your job to inform staff members about all of the personal details they may not know to create and deepen the relationship between them and your loved one. You can encourage your loved one to share family history, personal hobbies and even details from their previous work life to also connect with their staff members.
- Get to Know the Assisted Living Team. Every conversation shouldn’t be focused on your loved one. Take time to ask staff members about their personal lives and interests. This will help you better connect and understand the people caring for your loved one. By having deeper, meaningful conversations, your relationship will only grow and strengthen.
Best Ways to Communicate Effectively
Good communication is the foundation of any strong relationship. You want to make sure you have strong communication with the assisted living staff that is caring for your loved one. Follow these best practices to ensure you are communicating in the most effective ways.
- Actively Listen. Try to actively listening when a staff member is talking to you. By learning more about the staff members’ roles, you will better understand the care that is being provided to your loved one.
- Ask Questions. Educate yourself on assisted living and pose specific questions to staff members on topics you’re curious about. It’s important that you understand what type of care your loved one is receiving and what they’re experiencing while in assisted living.
- Be Honest. Make sure to talk openly with staff members. Don’t be afraid to voice your worries, fears and needs with them regarding your loved one. Being honest and creating an open dialogue will allow for a meaningful conversation and relationship.
Connect with the Assisted Living Staff at Advent Christian Village
At Advent Christian Village, your loved one’s health and wellbeing are our main priority. Our assisted living community at Dacier Manor brings the comforts of home and support they need while encouraging them to make the most out of every day. Our 40-room senior assisted living options offer residents the opportunity to regain independence while getting the support they need. Contact us today to learn more about everything our assisted living community has to offer.
*Please call Advent Christian Village prior to planning a visit to discuss visitation availability and precautions due to COVID-19.