Five Benefits of Social Media for Seniors
Although seniors have been admittedly slower at adopting the latest technology than their younger counterparts, the statistics have started to change. According to recent research from the Pew Research Center in the year 2000, only 14 percent of seniors ages 65 and older were regular Internet users. However, today, 67 percent of those older adults say they go online daily.
One of the biggest draws to the Internet for seniors in recent years is to log on to social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. In fact, in 2013, 27 percent of older adults reported using social media, but as of mid-2017, that number had risen to 34 percent.
Social media usage itself has steadily risen among all age groups since 2005, with 69 percent of Americans logging on to some social platform regularly. For seniors, social media offers some great benefits for overall wellness, including:
- Keeping in touch with family. The most important benefit of social media for seniors is the fact that it gives them a way to stay in touch and maintain their relationships with their families. Generations of family members can stay connected and engage with each other on a regular basis by checking in on Facebook, sharing photos and videos and making new memories.
- Staying involved with the community. Social media can provide an easy way to stay engaged with friends who may not live nearby, or meet new friends to get the social interaction you need to thrive. Engaging with others and staying socially active is so important for seniors, offering numerous physical and mental health benefits.
- Research and learning opportunities. Social media tools provide a way for seniors to keep learning about topics that are interesting to them. As an added bonus, they can interact with others who may be searching for the same information.
- Getting daily entertainment. Social media offers seniors a variety of ways to stay entertained, from watching video clips of their old favorite shows on YouTube to playing Scrabble with grandchildren via Facebook or other apps.
- Peace of mind for family members. By checking in regularly on Facebook, for example, seniors can provide their loved ones peace of mind that they are healthy and happy. This can be especially important for seniors living alone in their homes.
Whatever your interests may be, you’ll find a wide range of activities to fill your calendar at Advent Christian Village. Members enjoy an enriching lifestyle with opportunities for personal and spiritual growth in a stimulating, vibrant environment. Contact us today to learn more about our living options, or to schedule a personal tour at www.acvillage.net or (386) 658-5291.