Home > Holiday Gift Ideas for Seniors in Assisted Living
Holiday Gift Ideas for Seniors in Assisted Living
Gift giving at the holidays can be tricky. But it’s especially challenging to find just the right gift for an aging loved one in assisted living. Over the years, your loved one’s needs have changed and space is often at a premium. The best gift choices for seniors often serve an important purpose in their lives.
Gift Ideas for Seniors
Find the perfect gift for a senior loved one this holiday season:
- Gift of Time – Spend some time taking your loved one out to lunch or dinner. Or just spend some time sitting with your family member and listening to their stories.
- Music – If they are tech-savvy, load an iPod with their favorite music. You can also consider adding a speaker dock for more convenience. You can also choose a boombox with CD player and include their favorite CDs.
- Photo album or scrapbook – Choose photos from the past year or highlight a major event or family gathering. If your loved one likes to scrapbook, consider taking all the supplies and photos with you and completing the album together.
- Trip to a favorite place – Take him or her out to enjoy a concert, movie, library or museum.
- Electronic photo frames – Load some family photos in a digital frame and get it set up and ready.
You can even add or change photos through the year and keep it current.
- Gift certificate for salon – Many senior living communities have a salon on the premises. You can purchase a gift card for later use or even take your loved one to your favorite salon for some pampering and quality time.
- E-reader – Load some of their favorite books onto it before wrapping. As an extra gift, let him or her know you will check it throughout the year and load more books as needed.
- Cozy robe and slippers – Seniors can get cold so these are always well-received gifts. Be sure to choose slippers with non-skid soles to prevent any potential falls.
- Money for bills, shopping or special activities.
- Gift basket of favorite foods and treats.
- Craft items – This could include yarn, needles, and patterns for crocheting.
- Stationary basket – Your loved one might enjoy a variety of greeting cards, stationary, stamps and pens.
- Bundle of books and magazines, along with a reading lamp.
- Puzzles and game books.
- Gifts to simplify life – These items might include LED stick-on motion lights, cup holders for wheelchairs, walker caddy, automatic can opener, electric toothbrush and memory foam seat cushion.
- Simplified tablet – Simple tablets are made specifically for seniors to video chat and browse the Internet.
- Personal products such as soft-scented lotions, cosmetic wipes, tissues, air fresheners, etc.
- Smart Home hub – These can play requested music, answer questions, make phone calls, get weather and more.
Having Happy Holidays in Assisted Living Communities
Make this season merry and bright for every senior on your list with a perfect, useful gift. This guide can help you and your family give just the right item for your loved one in assisted living. They deserve a vibrant, meaningful life during the holidays and all year round in a supportive environment like the one at AdventChristian Village. For more information or to schedule a tour, contact us today.
- Most Useful Gifts for Loved Ones in Assisted Living. www.aplaceformom.com. (Accessed Nov 27 2018).