What is an Emergency Kit?
You never know when an emergency might occur, but there is a way you can be proactive and prepared by creating your own emergency kit . An emergency kit is a collection of simple household items you might need in the event of a crisis. By putting together your own kit containing items like food and water that has an extensive shelf life, you will be better equipped to face an emergency.
You might not think about preparing for an emergency until it’s too late, which can leave you unprepared and unsure how to handle the situation. Take the time to prepare an inexpensive, but necessary, emergency kit.
7 items to Include in an Emergency Kit
Here are seven items that are recommended to include in your emergency kit:
- Water. This is the most essential item to include in your kit. The recommended amount of water you should consume is one gallon of water per day, and you should keep a supply of at least three days of water in your kit, if possible. Water can be used for sanitation purposes, as well.
- First Aid Kit. These kits are a great pre-packaged resource to have if an injury were to occur. The first aid kit you include in your kit should be consistently examined and re-stocked if any supplies are used to ensure that it will be fully stocked and helpful in the event of an emergency.
- Food. Including at least a three-day supply of food in your emergency kit is a great idea. Make sure the food items you include are non-perishable items like peanut butter, dehydrated foods and soups.
- Cellphone. It can be helpful to have a backup cellphone in your kit, even if you already have your own that you use regularly. Buy a non-expensive cellphone, extra batteries and a charger to include in your kit. If the power happens to go out, you will still be able to use this backup phone to connect with others.
- Battery-Powered Radio. This item should be inexpensive and easy to find. A battery-powered radio will allow you to remain connected and stay up to date with what’s happening in the outside world in the event that the power goes out and you’re sheltering in place.
- Flashlight. This simple addition to your kit could come in handy if you find yourself in a situation where the power has gone out and you need some assistance finding your way around. A flashlight is such a valuable asset to your emergency kit, keeping you from tripping or falling and even helping you find other items in your emergency kit.
- Extra batteries. You should include extra batteries in your kit for items like your flashlight, radio and cellphone. This will provide the reassurance that all items in your kit will have power and functionality during the state of an emergency.
With these items in mind, make sure you take into consideration all of the varying items that you might personally require. For instance, important personal documentation and hygiene products are important to include. You should also ensure you have any prescriptions or medications you need included in your emergency kit.
Live a Safe, Secure Lifestyle at Advent Christian Village
At Advent Christian Village, the safety and health of residents and team members is our top priority. Whether you’re in our independent living, assisted living, home assistance, memory care or our skilled nursing community, you will feel well taken care of and safe.
Our medical services are specifically designed to ensure each resident has an enhanced state of independence, health and overall well-being.
Please contact us today at 1-800-647-3353 to learn more about the different senior living and medical care options we have available. We look forward to speaking with you soon!