Home > The Importance of Avoiding Dehydration
The Importance of Avoiding Dehydration
The human body is composed of more than 50 percent water, and we lose large quantities of it as we go about our daily lives. During the hot summer months, we can lose even more, making drinking water regularly a vital step in avoiding dehydration. No matter the time of year, but especially in the summertime, make sure to stay hydrated to enjoy the highest level of health and wellness possible.
The Health Benefits of Drinking Water
Drinking water is beneficial for a variety of reasons. First, water helps to internally cool your body as well as to remove toxins and impurities from your body. If you do become dehydrated, you may experience feelings of fatigue, dry mouth, and even an increased heartbeat and confusion. Use some of these tips in order to prevent dehydration, consume more water, and lead a healthier life:
- Keep a water bottle with you. The easiest change you can make it to simply keep a high-quality, re-usable water bottle with you at all times. Get into a habit of bringing it with you wherever you go and filling it up throughout the day as needed. You can choose whatever bottle works best for you and select a style that you enjoy having around.
- Keep track of how much water you’re consuming. Track your water intake so you know how much you are getting and whether you need to be getting more. As recommended by the Institute of Medicine, men should be getting a daily amount of 104 ounces, while women should be getting around 72. This varies a bit depending on age, activity level, and a variety of other lifestyle factors.
- Get water from other sources. You don’t always have to get your hydration from water alone. Other sources like fruits and vegetables have high concentrations of water, so eating them throughout the day can help you get closer to hitting your water consumption goal.
- Avoid alcohol and salty foods. Alcohol and salty foods have a dehydrating effect on your body. Despite the fact that it is a liquid, alcohol is a diuretic and can dehydrate you. Make sure if you are consuming either alcohol or salty foods that you are taking their dehydrating properties into consideration and that you are drinking enough water to compensate for it.
- Keep cool during warmer months. A sneaky way that may cause dehydration is excessive sweating. During the warmer months, you tend to perspire more, thus losing water and minerals from your pores. As you sweat, your body requires more water intake to make up for the water you are losing. Be cautious when you are in a hot or muggy environment for long periods of time, and bring your trusty water bottle with you. You may also want to consider wearing loose and flowy clothing to keep you feeling as cool as possible.
A Healthy Lifestyle at Advent Christian Village in North Florida
Advent Christian Village helps promote healthy lifestyles through our focus on wellness and enrichment. Our staff is professionally trained and will be there to help you reach your health goals. We accommodate and provide any necessary support for our residents, as well as encourage overall wellness. We offer a variety of different living options as well, from independent living to assisted living and skilled nursing care, ensuring you’ll find a perfect fit here. Contact us today to learn more about our inviting and supportive senior living community in north Florida.